Sunday, May 8, 2011

Echoes

A very warm welcome my friend!

Week has been busy for many. There was some kind of huge uproar in Thorin’s Hall, Seems like people ended up with many a black eye and some harsh comments on the event. Bad words were spilled, but I was too busy collecting maps. Also, Lufere seems to have moved a little more than usual, since his correspondence is getting bigger. Just listen:
   “My dear friend!
   Long has been the travelling, and I have decided to pay a visit to the place the hobbits call the Old Forest. It is a terrible place to be in, since I have never seen trees as those there. Angry as they are, they brought me down in short time, making me not worthy of counting as one of the few undefeated.
   Thus I decided to join a local festivity of a kinship called Dawning Eclipse, where I got to relax over my defeat. Music was played, oh so wonderful! Then the dresses and robes that were presented! It was all in all a beautiful reunion of people I hope to see in future travels even more.”

Having a good time at Dawning Eclipse’s party: Lufere and his wife
Camwen dancing to the music.

   Peace seems to have sifted a bit into Eriador, which makes me tranquil and alos eager for even more tea. Want to join me? Well, then if you have to leave, I won’t stop you, but remember that if you return, I’ll always have some tea ready.

 Until then, fare well.

Mourning the loss: looking at the rain after a defeat.

[Updates. There is nothing more exciting that waiting for new content to arrive. I am one of those players who got hooked the day Free to Play came out, so I practically only lived through the last two updates. But still, being this my favorite game and best MMO I have played, I loved the way Turbine always brought up the new content and the overhauls. Now, I am doing a short article this week, in which I’ll take a short pro/con look of the last update and why I am looking up for the next one.
   All in all Echoes of the death was, for me, a pretty well done Update. It had many changes that I felt was good that they changed. Even though I never got to play the five new instances and I have only one of the revamped classes, I was able to take a look a bit on the newer legendary system and the new skirmishes. I think it was well done, pretty much. I already spoke of the skirmishes in a previous post, so you’ll know some of the points. To remember the updates, you may read the list of changes in, as always, CSTM.

Pros:
  • New skirmishes. A total of three, all based around the Siege of Gondamon style of gameplay. A few nice surprises in there, already known to those who played them as a instance that was part of the story arc. Even though with reserves, it’s nice to know that there are not only new skirmishes, but also for all to play! Yes, even the F2P guys. Enjoy!
  • Legacy extractions. Legendary Items quit being totally random and now you are able to fashion one as you like. Yay!
  • New cosmetic slots. Yes, you have to buy them, but those who don’t use the system won’t care anyways, and those who do won’t mind spending a bit on them. It is an extra to buy if needed and it will (hopefully) keep the game floating)
  • Class revamps. To be honest, it is always nice to see how the classes are balanced to be more useful. I was already tired of the Runekeeper tyranny in healing, and the new revamp brought a bit of usefulness to my (not so) beloved Qwerqsar. Hope to keep using him soon!
  • Volume II soloable. And it was a blast.

Cons:
  • New skimishes. They are cool, but they don’t feel balanced at all. It seems like there are still some patches to make to have a very interesting skirmish ahead. It’s not a fail, but a heads-up to Turbine.
  • No real revamp to PvMP. I know it’s not the main focus of the game. I don’t play it much either, since I started with Update 2, but to be honest, I feel like the creeps side lacks many options, specially cosmetic ones and equipment ones. Now, it would be cool to see more deep monsters and a wider variety participating in battle.
  • Boring instances of Volume II. Even though I love the new soloable capability of Volume II, I can’t stand instances like Water Temple. It was long a boring, not only because of the size of the place, but also because of the huge number of trash mobs and no interesting fights. I would have loved to see a few less mobs, since the only two interesting fights were against the two insect queens and against the Watcher. I recommend using groups for that instance, or you’ll bore yourself to death.
  • Anniversary event. ‘nuff said.

Winners of the Dawning Eclipse fashion contest.

   Now, when I heard of the new Update 3 coming so soon, I was wondering why we needed it so close to Rise of Isengard. But as I read through the patchnotes, I noticed that it had just a small content update and no huge changes and revamps except for some in PvMP. This is surely mainly to the fact that the real changes will come in fall, with the new expansion, which makes me more eager to be ready for my first steps towards Isengard!

Pros:
  • New user interface option in titles screen and in auction house navigation. Maybe the best new change that will hopefully make the navigation a bit more intuitive. I have already so many titles on Nimreidhreth that I don’t even know what I have in hand to rename him in the future!
  • New dungeons. Content for mid-level characters. Why not?
  • New skirmishes. And best of all, with new ideas. Listening to Pineleaf’s interview on CSTM didn’t make the matter better, for he give s quick look on those skirmishes (he’s the expert in that) and he said some pretty neat stuff about the new skirmishes. Oh man, I can’t wait to see them!

Cons:
  • Still no PvMP revamp. I know they are up to Isengard, so they better be good guys! No pressure from me though! Hehe…

   All in all it seems like Turbine is preparing for the next two huge events: taking over the European servers AND the new expansion. But as far as I have read, Rise of Isengard will be just great. I really hope so, you haven’t let me down yet, Turbine! Until then…
   All Hail!]

No comments:

Post a Comment