Sunday, May 15, 2011

The many warriors


A very warm welcome my friend!

Sit down and enjoy the tea. It came this time from the far elven lands of Mirkwood. Nimreidhreth has been lately very active in entering quick battles in Moria and in Mirkwood, trying to weaken the enemy defenses. He has allied himself with many a brave warrior to accomplish this task.
   “But…” he comments in a letter sent to me “…brave does not equal effective. I have seen many a warrior fall because of their proud behavior of pretending to know all or just standing in the way. Some of the surviving warriors can even be overly greedy, taking away treasures the Free Peoples should learn to share: powerful weapons in the hands of who can’t use them because they lack the mastery of it.

Foretold and Nimreidhreth ready to set out for a battle in Angmar.

   Still I have had a successful group of battles and orcs and, above all, wargs are falling under my powerful sword and shield. Blood has been running a lot and I have been wading this filth, to rid Middle Earth of the grasp of the evil forces.”
   Moria sure seems to be much of a dark place. Orcs and what not just ruin the lands, and I hope they never reach the Shire. It is anyways resting time now, so I will have a nice cup of tea. You are invited if you want. If not, well, then travel safe and I’ll hope to meet you again.

 Until then, fare well.

[Lord of the Rings Online is about group content. Sure, most of it is soloable, but the full potential of the game is reached once you start raiding, participating in instances and doing skirmishes. Those start at level 20 (although by then you will be in one quick jump almost 24 by just skirmishing less than a half dozen times) with the Great Barrows (GB), a series of three instances in the tombs Frodo, Sam, Merry and Pippin were captured once, and two skirmishes, one with an attacking focus (Trouble in Tuckborough) and the Siege of Gondamon, where you defend a city of the dwarves.
   To get a group going you usually have two options: getting together with some kin-mates and friends you have found in your journeys, or just simply calling out in an LFF (looking for fellowship) channel for some. At the start the group content is pretty basic, and I do recommend a few runs of the GB to get used to your character as part of a fellowship. More often than not you will find yourself grouping with a random set of people, to which you are not used playing with.
   The best way to be coordinated during such a group based instance is to practice with people often. Usually that is what a Kinship is for. I have practiced this a bit by doing some Rift and Carn Dum runs with Foretold, but other Kins may be more active and practice constantly. Another great way is just skirmishing. But what if you get people you don’t know?

Die servants of the Enemy! Getting a few merrovails down.

   This usually has two main outcomes: the run is successful, which is what all really desire, or everyone disbands, sometimes even disgusted with each one. These kinds of situations are usually avoidable. In my experience there is a set of rules to follow to avoid having too much trouble with your group. I will give the rules I have experienced myself. Mind that part of these rules are desired to be followed by many players, so it is not like I found the perfect set of rules, but I am following the most important ones I have come to think may be crucial to a peaceful understanding while raiding.

a)      Set goals of the group clearly. Usually that is the easiest part. If you enter in Tham Mírdaim, all want to get the skirmishing marks all can obtain. In more special cases, like Moria’s Grand Staris, it has to be clear from the beginning if it is a daily run or a complete one. Also, specify the tier and level. It may be that a level 20 may survive a 25 GB, but this works better if you are warned.
b)      Declare functions. This is most important thing of all. The classes are pretty straightforward in what they do. Guardians and Wardens tank, Minstrels heal, Hunters deal damage and put up traps. But then there are classes like the Rune Keeper, which either heal or do damage. If you have two of the same, declare what specific role everyone plays. If you are the only Rune Keeper in the group and no Minstrel is available, then you pretty much have to retrait to heal. Be sure to tell the group to wait a bit before all run into battle. Then there is the main/off tank business. When my Guardian Nimreidhreth is not the only tank in the group, I usually look at my companion and ask him to be main, so I won’t take aggro of him. It has already happened to me that I tell a Warden with a ton of life to be main because I think he might resist more than me and suddenly I find the boss running about hitting healers and DPS. If you are not sure of your role, declare it. If you still end up in that position, the others will at least know you may fail; and failing is necessary to learn. But at least the group knows you are learning.
c)      New to the instance? Ask! I can’t stress that enough. When I enter a group that wants to do an instance I have never done before, I ask who can give me a quick rundown and/or instructions during the run. Some are afraid to ask, because they think they will look like noobs. I prefer to ask first, seem like a noob, but then doing in the instance as much right as possible the first run. You will look more foolish if you do something wrong because you didn’t know anything of the boss at all. I once entered a Forges run and some of my fellowship members pulled the trolls off me, not knowing that the boss healed them. Despite calls and warning, they kept doing that and, as soon as they died the first time, disbanded. So much for trying to get the challenge done.
d)     Kill first, loot later. It is annoying being in the middle of a battle and suddenly seeing a ton of objects you have to roll on. I like to have time to know what I am rolling for, especially if it is equipment or a Legendary Item. If I am busy trying to build up aggro, the little roll windows just break my concentration. Please, people, the important stuff is rolled on anyways. If you need the common objects, then solo a few missions. But on an instance you have to wait for the battle to be over. I’ll wait for you the minute it takes… rolling on what interests me.
e)      Loot what you need need. Yes, I used the word twice. It happens often that you finally find a Guardian Legendary Item that may work for you and suddenly a Minstrel has it. You can’t use it! But a normal answer is that he has a Guardian alt that needs it. Sorry, but if your Guardian wants that LI, you should play with him. At the moment I am the Guardian. Of course, if there is no Guardian on the group, all may roll for it. I do not roll on any item that is for any of the classes participating in the fellowship, even when I am sure the Hunter doesn’t need that bow either. Why? It’s courtesy. This will help us get along and have lesser clashes in between us because of one object. It also works on many other items. If you already have that trophy, why even roll on it? If you have a ton of morale restoring potions, why roll on it if the Champion behind you might need it? Lastly, if you are looking for a certain object, call for it. This way people not interested in it won’t roll. Those still interested may roll on it too, but at least the chances the ones who want it may get it are higher.
f)       Wait for the one to pull. As a tank it happens very often to me: the champ runs into the enemy, everything attacks everyone and we all die as soon as we realize that our healer is defeated. If you have a Loremaster that roots groups… let him root. If a burglar declares he wants to mezz a mob… wait until the guy is stunned. If you need aggro to be controlled… wait for the tank to make a few taunts, and then charge into battle. It will take him oly a few seconds to take ahold of the aggro. But get organized with this. A common thing we do at GS is that the main tank pulls the bosses, but the crowd in front of Igash is rooted when we have a loremaster. And it works perfectly. Everyone has a function, and some are starters, others not. If you are not a starter, don’t even attempt until you tank has all aggro.
g)      If you die once… die twice! Fellowships with unknown persons have the problem of the participating members not being used to each other, and thus coordinated enough. Failure can happen. Sometimes the champ is new and doesn’t perform well. Or the other (and it happened to me recently) is that the guys has a bad day and everything just fails. Don’t lash out. Don’t even dare to retreat. The whole group came together to finish an objective, and even if the group is not perfect, it is beyond despicable to just bail out. Unless you all declare the instance too hard at the moment, you should not bail out all the sudden. If you want to go, at least tell everyone and make an excuse. But don’t just run out of the companions, no matter how bad they are.

Not every Raid is successful. But it should be fun!

I think those main rules can help a group of unknown people to get along. It’s not perfect, and I think that is what a Kinship is for: to get to know each other when doing group content (aside of the social function). But you will be bound to do most of the content with people you may only meet very casually in your adventures. The beautiful part is that you will learn tricks and tips on how to beat the instance.
   All Hail!]

No comments:

Post a Comment