Sunday, April 10, 2011

Killing the masses

A very warm welcome my friend!

Sit down to get some tea. Seems like you have been busy slaying many a goblin. You are, after all, splattered by this foul blood. Thinning the lines of the enemy is, after all, a central activity for us. Lufere just sent me a little mail on it. Seems like the man took a trip to the lands of Ered Luin, near the Blue Mountain, where he has been taking a hunt for wolves and dreadful giant spiders. This pleases the Valar much in the quest to restore peace in Middle Earth and giving this age an end and starting a new one. Just look at what he says:
   “Many miles I have travelled. I finally got to see the halls of the dwarves. It was incredible. The main receiving hall had a huge statue of one of their lords, looking towards a small light entrance that seems to work as a window, above the gate. Behind the statue a busy life ensues, that reminds me of my homelands in Gondor. It’s like a city, just with smaller and sturdier people. When I got to see the forges I was just impressed by the size of their melting ovens and fires.

Killing wolfs by moonlight.

   But I wasn’t there for sightseeing, so I immediately took off to hunt down a goblin camp more to the south, trying to find some clue for their ever-growing presence…”
   By the way, Nimreidhreth seems to have walked off somewhere far beyond Moria, into the dark woods, I haven’t heard much about him. But I can see, form this tattered letter, that it came from a war ridden zone. Look at this dark orcish arrowhead!
   Well, I guess you still have some goblins to get, so I won’t hinder you anymore. We should share another tea!

 Until then, fare well.

Mirk Eaves… one step before the Wood.

[Grinding. At some point all of us have to get to it. Be it for the reputation with a faction, be it for some traits and abilities, be it even for the Turbine Points you need to get finally that last questpack! I myself will be busy with grinding this week again. I am not precisely looking forward to it, but now that my main has reached level 60, I have to find a way to get the last TPs to get Mirkwood. But then again, grinding wouldn’t be soooo bad if it wasn’t for a detail I almost dread from time to time: the availability of the mobs for the slayer deeds.
   It happened to me a lot when I was grinding for Moria: every time I was in a zone with two or more types of mobs, of which I needed only one kind, the one I needed to get down was not there. This has three reasons: a) many are grinding the same mob (sometimes they are quest objectives too); b) a higher leveled character (like mine) just invaded the zone; c) the random spawn generator.
   Problem a) and b) are pretty close together. The mobs are, after all, hunted down for an almost too obvious reason. If you get a quest that says “kill 10 wolves” and a deed that asks you to kill 100 wolves, the people will tend to merge on the zones and hunt the poor animals. Then there is always this big leveled guy who just runs through the area and one-hit kills all and runs on. So chances are that you will be a bit screwed and will have to wait for them to respawn.
   A good solution to this is to try to ally. If you are all at the same level as the mob, having four guys accelerates the gain. Just make in the fellowship two teams of two to gang up on two wolves. The long time killing the mob will more than halve, since you may be fresher to immediately fight the next mob as soon as you and your friend kill one – in the mean time the other team already killed another mob and is moving on to the next. At least it helps until the monster is totally wiped out and you are forced to wait for it to respawn again.
   As for the high leveled player, well, ally with him too if possible. But also, if you are the high leveled character, you should consider that there are many low leveled ones that need the quest/deed. Maybe you should just send a quick question on who need the specific mob. I really think it is better to help out, so the quality of the game rises not by the content, but by the (already good) community.
   As for problem c), I feel that there are some people who are not familiar on how, in some areas, the respawn rules are. Just about two days ago I read a post on the forum on which the rules were hinted at, and I think the poster knew how it works, but for many it is just something they haven’t thought about, even while grinding.
   It turns out that in some places two or mobs share space, if you kill one of those won’t assure that the respawn will be the same. This means, that there is usually a chance the same reappears or that another of the area may appear on the same spot. But if that happens, this means the orcs you are looking for will still be present, isn’t it? Yes and no.
   Let’s say we have an area with 100 mobs, one half (50) is orcs, the other goblins. Your deed is to kill 200 orcs. “Sweet”, you might think, “four runs and I am through”. Wrong! Now, lets suppose the respawn chance of both mobs is 50%. You kill the first bunch of orcs and then they re-appear (note that your deed is now on 50/200). But since it is a 50% chance for orcs and a 50% chance for goblins, by normal statistics (it’s a mind experiment, since the numbers may change a bit) you have now a respawn of 25 orcs and 25 goblins; sum these to the already existing 50 goblins and you have 75 goblins and 25 orcs. You go in again and get the orcs (suppose the goblins don’t attack you at all, you are now high above their level) and get the bar up to 75/200. The mobs reappear and (supposing the randomizer is good to you) you have now 13 orcs and 87 goblins. The area that seemed so full of orcs suddenly seems to have almost none, just those pesky and useless goblins.
   As you see, attacking one type of monster usually means that the one you are looking for is slowly decaying and the useless one is becoming abundant. It is thus a rule that you might start to run out of your mobs. So much for only doing it in four quick runs, my friend. Of course, there seems to be a system implemented that, as soon as a mob is too long on the field, it gets re-rolled, but that includes a long waiting time.
   I usually try to kill two of the needed and then one of the useless. This would ensure a faster regeneration of the mob I need, although it often gets ruined when another, not knowing this rule, just sweeps off the monster I needed to deed. So it is good to know the rule to make the slayer deed at least a bit faster, since most of us get bored of it pretty soon.
   But definitely, the main tip should still be to make in group. It makes the deeding go faster and more fun, since the companion can always be there to make a joke. Just don’t forget to get the other kind of mob too, even if you don’t need it, since it might help to keep things rolling in the zone you are.
   Well, I hope this helped this time. For more help on many other stuff related to LOTRO, I just found by recommendation a site called mmorsel, dedicated to the game. It has good beginners and not-so-beginners guides, as well as some interesting tools, of which I have yet to test some. It will definitely become part of me link section.   ;)
   See you then all next week, and as always…
   All Hail!]

No comments:

Post a Comment